Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Linda's Pasta Primavera

When I was little, my Naunie lived in Queens, NY.  Every summer I would spend several weeks with her. Next door to her lived my oldest and dear friend.  Her mom used to make this dish all the time with homemade pasta!  Now I make it several times in the spring and summer.


3 tbsp. canola oil
2 small cloves of garlic, minced
5 shallots, chopped
1 tbsp. dried basil
5 large mushrooms, sliced
1 lb. fresh Roma tomatoes, diced
1 lb. fresh zucchini, diced and blanched
1 1/2 c. snow peas, trimmed and blanched
1 1/2 c. broccoli, chopped and blanched
1 tsp. salt
freshly ground pepper to taste

8 oz. spaghetti (I always double the recipe and make a pound of pasta)

freshly grated parmesan cheese

Boil water in a large pot.  Add salt.  Blanch all vegetables.

Heat oil in skillet over med heat.

Add garlic, shallots, basil, mushrooms and tomatoes and cook 5 minutes.

Add blanched vegetables, salt and pepper.

Cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Pour over cooked pasta.  Serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.