Saturday, November 20, 2010

Thankful for this Opportunity

I love my job!

I love, love, love, love, love books.  I love all of the possibilities that they contain.  I love all of the knowledge that they house.  I love getting lost in a good book.  I love recommending books to people and having them come back to me and tell me how much they loved that book, or, in a few cases, how the book changed their life.


Working at the library is a natural fit for me.  I get to be around books and people who read.  I get some say in what we order and I get to recommend books to  people.  I get to discuss books all day.  I LOVE it!

I started working at the library three mornings a week two years ago when the girls both went to school full-time.  I started out in circulation and after a year, I was honored by being offered a promotion to reference, which I gladly accepted and enjoyed tremendously. When we made the decision to homeschool, I was unsure if I would be able to keep my job.  But my boss and my co-workers are awesome and they made room for me in the evening schedule.  They offered me an afternoon of children's programs.  They encouraged me to start a homeschool group at the library.  And they supported my decision, telling me how they admired me every step of the way!  (I am so, so truly blessed to work with these women and to call them my friends.)

It's not always easy to balance the demands of homeschooling, motherhood and part time work.  It means that extra activities, like an art class that A wanted to take or another dance class that P wanted take are too difficult to schedule.  But, I think the trade-off of having the girls see me working and realizing that moms can do more than be moms is very important.  I think it balances out, especially since the girls do have co-op and choir, dance and sewing lessons.

The other day, I was offered a Promotion!!!!  Which I gladly and happily accepted!!!

I will be the Children's Librarian Assistant!!!!!  I will be running two programs a week, as well as one Saturday program per month.  I will also be starting a Homeschool Library group that will meet twice monthly at the library.  I will be assisting my friend CG :)  I will be cataloging books and helping with decorations and events!  I am so excited to have this opportunity to work with the children of our town, to help moms of public school and homeschool children and to work with CG aka BFF!!!!!