Sunday, February 20, 2011

Our Week & Some Questions

We took a break last week.  A much needed break.  It's been one of the worst winters on record around here.  Normally, I love winter.  I love snow and an excuse to cuddle up with a book.  But we'd had enough--we have not had that much snow in 62 years.

Warm weather and sunshine were needed & enjoyed.

We did yoga every day.  I love yoga.  I go through spurts where I do it all the time and then spurts where I don't do it at all.  Then when I do it again, I realize how much I missed it.

I read.  A lot.  Reading feels so good to me--getting lost in a book, exercising my brain.  I love to read.  I read Anita Shreve's Rescue, which is wonderful and I definitely recommend it.  I read Leaving Home by Jodi Picoult, which I completely recommend to all moms.  And I started reading Back to the Basics: Raising Self Sufficient Children, so far I like it.

I get so wrapped up in homeschooling and blogging that I don't take time for reading and yoga and I need to change that.

This week reminded me of vacations we took before kids, when we were both working full time.  During those weeks, I would start to feel like I had reconnected with myself, with what made me ME.  It gave me new perspective.  It rejuvenated my spirit.  I needed that after this winter.  Boy, did I need it!

We played, we goofed around, we were silly, we cuddled, we spent quality time together.

 The girls did do math and read tons of books.  A has discovered Nancy Drew and is obsessed.  P worked her way through several Judy Blume books and started on Beverly Cleary's Ramona series.

Jason and I had plenty of loooooong talks.

He's concerned with how much I share on the blog.  He reads it, though he doesn't always comment.  In the beginning, I was hesitant to share too much.  Then as I got more comfortable, I shared more.  I've gotten very comfortable with my regular readers, I think of a lot of you as friends.  I read a lot of blogs and interact with a lot of people, and I forget that OTHER people beyond those I interact with can read my blog.  So, with that in mind, I may taper what I share.

How do you, my blogger buddies, handle this?  Do you worry about how much you share?

I have a good friend who works for Homeland Security and his advice was that while someone can get your IP address and tell the neighborhood in which you live, the chances of them being close enough to find you are slim.  You are at more risk walking down the street in your neighborhood.

What is your feeling?  I am really interested.

We also discussed Jason's work.  He's been offered several opportunities when the project that he is working on is over (at least another 2 1/2 to 3 years).  Two of the opportunities require a move.  We are not sure how we feel about that.  In some ways it is exciting, we could live in a more affordable area, buy a home with the equity we have in this house and not have a mortgage.  In other ways, it's far from family, from friends, from what we know.  Two of the opportunities are with the company that he works for now and are exciting as well.  One of them has potential to start sooner than 2 1/2 years and can be done in conjunction with the current project and would be very cool & exciting.

We talked about all of the possibilities and that some may not pan out (2-3 years is a long way off).  We dreamed.  We are so grateful that these opportunities, these connections even exist.

Sometimes when I talk to my friends they are surprised that I know so much about Jason's work.  They don't discuss those things.  I can see the point in that.  Home should be a refuge where work doesn't intervene.  At several points in our lives, Jason had a long commute and used to enjoy it because he got to put work behind him.

Other friends of mine visit their husband's office frequently and have lunch with their husband's secretary regularly.  The admins in Jason's office both live in our town, one lives a few blocks away...but we just wave in passing.

I think since I started staying home and Jason is our primary breadwinner, I have become more interested in his work, if he is content, how he is feeling.  But we always discussed work, it's a big part of his life and I am interested.

I am curious, how involved do you get in your husband's work life?  Do you feel concerned if he is unhappy at work?  Do you try to steer him toward opportunities or do you just listen or not even talk about it?