Saturday, March 5, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal




In my life this week...I have been getting some spring cleaning done in preparation for P's birthday parties this weekend.  Also, we hosted a fabulous Read Across America event at the library where I work and my poor boss has been sick, so I have been working some extra shifts to cover for her.


In our homeschool this week...We completed the Literature Pocket on Pandora's Box.  Both girls wrote wonderful, creative stories about a sealed box and a character and the consequences of opening the box...unlike Pandors, the containers in their stories had happy things inside, something their characters benefitted from.  We continued to learn about prepositions and I just ended a sentence with one, which is a big no-no.  OOoops!  We also continued our study of the Greeks and read about Cyrus, which reminded us of the "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and we discussed Sparta and Athens.  The girls also did math, of course.  I am reserving my review of Math U See until A gets a little further into it (but so far, so good...)

Places we're going and people we're seeing...My boss was sick, so I ran a program at the library on Tuesday.   The girls also attended choir and youth group this week, which they LOVE.  For years I have watched the youth in our church form these wonderful friendships and I am so glad to see that my girls are becoming part of that as they get older and can hang out in "the Cave".  We had a wonderful Read Across America program at the library, which both girls attended and were happy to see some of their friends from school there.

My favorite thing this week was...running into one of A's best friends from school at the library on Tuesday.   We walked into the library on Tuesday so I could cover a program...and there was A's friend!!  They spent some time together talking...I spoke with her mom and this girl will now be coming to the library on Wednesday afternoons and she and A will do 'homework' together.  A wants me to assign her homework to do with her friend.  OK.  She thought the 'homework' was fun this week.

What's working/not working for us... We started copywork and dictation this week.  So far, I love it!  I remember my teachers having us copy sentences.  It's a great way to learn sentence structure, grammar, spelling....  I selected a paragraph from the Lit Pocket Pandora's Box for them to copy one day and the next day I dictated that paragraph to them.  It had to be in cursive, which is good practice for P.  I told them to watch spelling, punctuation and capitalization.

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have... Wondering how others balance academics and social/field trip type stuff.  I am feeling like we are a little heavy on the academics and need to strike a better balance.

A photo, video, link, or quote to share... 


Here is a photo of our new window treatments (and my uncle!)...still trying to figure out if we like the window treatments (we love the uncle ;-)!