Friday, April 8, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week…I will be honest, I was feeling a little burned out.  I *REALLY* think it is the @#$% lesson plan.  They don't work for me.  They make me feel too penned in, like we are in a rush now to finish by June.  I am thinking of 86-ing the whole $%&& lesson plan thing again.


In our homeschool this week…We finished our solar system kit.  We finished reading the biography of Isaac Newton.  We learned a lot.  The girls took notes and we did many of the experiments.  


Places we’re going and people we’re seeing…The girls came to work with me Wednesday as usual.  They seemed to just have an exceptionally good time this week, they both made some new friends with some kids that were there.  P attended craft class with BFF, which she loves, then she met this new little girl who is her age and they spied on the older kids together :) 
The girls also went to choir and youth group and all that fun stuff :)
My favorite thing this week was…A's friend from school normally comes to the library on Wednesday to do her work, but she could not make it this week.  So, A made some new friends at the library on Wednesday when she came to work with me.  She helped them with their spelling and they were all impressed and I know she felt REALLY good about herself. She hung out with the girls and chatted.  I was glad she had that experience.  I was proud of how confident she was.  She had time completely independent from me and her sister, which I know is important.
What’s working/not working for us…I am beyond excited right now...we are studying Rome in History and will be learning about Julius Caesar this week.  Today I was talking to one of my homeschool mom friends and she mentioned they were going to see Julius Casear at the Shakespeare Company Playhouse.  So, of course, I bought tickets for next week!  I am so excited that we can learn about Julius Caesar and then go see the play!  Shall I say it again?  THIS is why I LOVE homeschooling!!!!


Homeschool questions/thoughts I have…


Trying to get my girls to be a little bit more thorough.  I ask them to check their work over before they hand it in.  This week, they had a test on prepositions.  I asked them if they found all of the verb phrases, compound subjects, etc.  They said they did, I saw mistakes.  I didn't even mark them wrong, I just handed it back and asked them to look it over again and they inevitably found the mistakes.  Sigh.


Anyone else have this problem?  What do you do?


A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
Why Homeschool?
Because homeschooling is not...
The same kids
in the same room
doing the same thing
at the same time
in the same way
to achieve the same results
because they are the same age.
~Stephen Moitozo
The Homeschool Mother's Journal