Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas

I love Christmas.
It's pure magic to me.

I like to make it last as long as possible.

One of my favorite things is the luminaries in our neighborhood on Christmas Eve.

The streets are lined with them.

It feels like magic as we drive to church.



This year, P was ringing bells and singing hymns for our Christmas Eve Worship.


Our whole family attended together.


At the end of the service, the lights are turned down.
Upon arriving we had each been given a candle,
we pass the flame from candle to candle.
Soon the whole sanctuary is lit purely by candlelight
and we sing:

Silent night, Holy night
all is calm, all is bright
Round yon virgin, mother and child
holy infant so tender and mild...

 After church, we head to my parents' house for
The Feast of the Seven Fishes.

Scungilli salad is always on the menu.
I look forward to it every year all year.

My aunt and A were pretending that they were Martha Stewart and had prepared the whole spread:

After enjoying a feast of fish, we open gifts:

My girls made Jason and I camera strap covers in sewing lessons.

 A sewed and embroidered this apron for my uncle:




My brother and sister-in-law :)

The girls always get new pajamas for Christmas Eve.
They put them on when all of the gifts are opened,
while we are getting coffee and dessert ready. 

My niece got a Princess Dress Up Chest.
P had the same thing when she was my niece's age.
P couldn't wait to dive in and show my niece how to do it!


my adorable niece


On Christmas Day,
we enjoy my mother in law's Sticky Buns.


The presents on Christmas Eve are from family.
Santa comes over night and leaves the girls presents under the Christmas tree.

This year, Santa left the presents in the family room.
P could hardly contain herself,
but A really wanted to prolong the anticipation...


P loves these little giraffes.
First she had Safari,
then she got Sierra.
For Christmas, Santa brought them a baby: Sophia.

P showed my aunt the fashion illustration kit she got.


Jason made pasta from scratch for a light Christmas dinner.




Somehow "I Love Lucy" was mentioned in conversation.
We all started talking about our favorite episodes.
This lead to a youtube search to watch snippets of our favorite Lucy episodes:
Vitameatavegamen
The Chocolate Factory
The Harpo Marx episode

Jason and I have been together for 18 years and yet, I learned something new on Christmas Day:
my husband is a Lucy fanatic and knows most of the episodes and can even quote them!


It was a wonderful Christmas



In the early evening, P lit the menorah and we shared our Hanukkah experience with our family.