Monday, February 11, 2013

Clearing the Winter Doldrums

I like winter.  I love hunkering down under my down comforter with a good book and a cup of Tazo tea.  I love cooking hearty soups and stews and baking multigrain bread.  I love the feeling of being snuggled up inside all cozy with my family while the winds rage outside.

But there comes a point every winter where I get tired of the gray skies and I need a pop of color.  The other day I was at Wegman's and I saw this jade plant and I just had to get it!  It adds a bright pop of color and reminds me of the greens if spring!

My old velvet drapes in the living room were nine years old.  They were embarrassingly faded in places, but I just couldn't find anything I liked to replace them.  Correction: I couldn't find anything in my budget that I liked to replace them.   Now that Jason has been back to work for a few weeks and we replaced everything we took out of savings when he was out of work after surgery, I decided to splurge and reward myself for being so disciplined to put that money back and I bought these curtains at Pottery Barn.  They filter the light so beautifully and make my living room so much brighter--just what I need this time of year!

You may remember that Jason got the hernia moving furniture so we could paint our bedroom.  I am in love with the color.  It's a light gray.  I love toile and had been looking for years for a toile duvet cover--NOT a comforter, but  duvet cover--and finally found one!  I bought four!--my mom and the girls turned two of them into curtains for my bedroom and I have a spare in case the one on my bed gets dirty.  Yes, that is how much I love it!!

I have a few more ideas for changes around here.  It's keeping my head on other things than gray, bleak weather.  I can't wait to share them with you--as soon as I get a chance to complete them!!