Wednesday, June 12, 2013

10 Things in My Kitchen

These posts are so fun, I want to play along!

Ten things you will find in my kitchen:

1.  This beautiful bowl that my uncle made sits on my counter and I keep tomatoes and other fruit in it.  It reminds me of my uncle and I always loved cooking with him in my kitchen so it's really nice to have this there.

2.   A lot of heirloom pieces - when my Naunie passed away, I took some bowls from her house and some other things that remind me of her.  I did the same thing with my uncle.  I get comfort from using these things and feel like my Naunie and my uncle are right there with me.

3.  Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar - I love this stuff.  It is so good for you!  Many years ago, my mom cured my dandruff with ACV.  I drink approximately 1 tbsp. diluted in water every day, it promotes digestion, helps control weight, removes toxins from the body.  I have an ulcer and when it acts up, I drink an extra glass of water and ACV and it neutralizes my stomach acid and works better thank OTC remedies.  I use it on my salad every day.  I even got my dad to start drinking it!

4.  Glass jars of flours and grains, popcorn kernels, flax seeds, chia seeds - when I was a kid my friend Tami's mom had glass jars lined up on her counter with different pastas and rices and grains and I loved the way it looked.  I vowed then that when I had my own house, I would do the same.  And a few years ago, I did!


3.  Fiestaware - We have open shelves for dishes and I love the way the bright Fiestaware looks against the white shelves.  The only thing that bums me out is that I got these colors 17 years ago for my wedding and now they no longer make these colors so I can't add to my collection (the new colors don't match well).



5.  Stoneware and Le Crueset - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE baking on Stoneware and cooking in Le Crueset.  I really do think it makes a difference.

6.  Kitchenaid Blender, Mixer and Food Processor - I can make green smoothies that are perfectly smooth with my blender.  I love having my mixer on the counter -- I have promised both of my girls that I will buy them a Kitchenaid mixer when they get married--I use mine ALL the time--pancakes, bread dough, mashed potatoes, you name it!

7.  A lot of heirloom pieces - when my Naunie passed away, I took some bowls from her house and some other things that remind me of her.  I did the same thing with my uncle.  I get comfort from using these things and feel like my Naunie and my uncle are right there with me.

8.  Sourdough Starter - when Jason had hernia surgery last fall, he started making sourdough bread and we have kept it going.  We make a couple loaves every week.  It pares well with soups and stews or salads.  It makes the house smell awesome and it's just nice and comforting to have home baked bread.

9.  Photos of friends and family - My fridge is plastered with photos of friends and family, artwork that my girls made either recently or when they were little and artwork and notes kids give me at the library.  I have also been known to print out favorite poems and quotes to put on there.  Years ago I was a teacher and I had a bulletin board in my room that looked like this, all things people gave me or things I loved...now all that is on my fridge!

10. An inordinate amount of cookbooks and cooking magazines - I have amassed quite a collection of both over the years and despite my best efforts to purge some, the collection grows as I inherit family members' books with notes in the margins.  The worst part is, with the exception of a couple tried and true recipes that I have not memorized, I never even look at cookbooks anymore--I pin recipes and check Pinterest for menu ideas!