Friday, June 21, 2013

Tacos, Stuffed Poblanos and Skinny Margaritas

My husband grew up in Southern California.  His family ate a lot of Mexican food and it is one of his favorite things.  So, I learned how to cook Mexican food!

Tacos have always been a staple in our house, but now that I don't eat meat they are really a perfect meal since everyone assembles their own the way they want them.

Other than tortillas and meat or beans, there is really nothing you NEED to have.  it's all a matter of preference or what you happen to have on hand.

Tacos

Typically, we use:

tortillas (we prefer soft, but sometimes we do hard shell, it's all up to you)
meat (ground beef, sliced steak, chicken strips, slow simmered pork, fish sticks, shrimp)
beans (carnivores eat them too, but they are a staple for vegetarians!)
tomatoes
cheese
lettuce
black olives
salsa or pico de gallo (or both)
onions
Spanish rice
corn
hot peppers or jalapenos
guacamole

How I prepare the meat:

If I am using ground beef, I just brown it and add some chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic.  Sometimes I will brown an onion in there, too.  Sometimes I throw a tablespoon or two of tomato sauce in.

If I am using chicken or steak, I cut it in strips first.  If I am really organized, I marinate the meat in lime juice, hot peppers, garlic, cumin, and chili powder.  If I am not organized,  I sautee it with some garlic and add some cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, etc.  I pretty much do shrimp the same way.  Fish I bread first and add some cumin and chili powder to the breading (but you can skip the breading and just quick fry it with cumin, lime and chili powder.)  If we are using skirt steak, I marinate it in roasted garlic salsa overnight and then (Jason) grills it directly on the coals.

The girls help shred cheese, chop tomatoes and lettuce, etc.

We just lay it out and everyone helps themselves!


Stuffed Poblanos (Chiles Rellenos)

We don't always eat these with tacos, but sometimes we do.

Ingredients:

Poblano peppers (or bell peppers if you prefer)
1/2 lb (or 1 can) red kidney beans (if using dry, soak them until soft)
3/4 cup salsa (jarred or homemade)
1/2 cup shredded cheddar or jack
1/2 cup raisins
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt

Mix the beans, salsa, cheese and raisins together and add spices.  Cut the tops off the peppers and stuff them.  Either cook on a grill or roast in the oven.

Skinny Margaritas - single serving

I admit it, I LOVE Crystal Light.  I seldom drink it, but I do love it.  A few years ago, one of my Bunco friends introduced me to Skinny Margaritas.

1 Crystal Light on the go single serving lemonade packet
lime juice
water
Triple Sec
tequila
rim salt (optional)

Mix the Crystal Light and water (I usually add slightly less than what the packet calls for).  Add a shot of tequila, half a shot of Triple Sec and 2 tbsp. lime juice.  Mix it up and enjoy over ice!