Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Ten MEATLESS Meals My Family LOVES!


I have an eating disorder so eating healthy is a big priority for me.  I have always encouraged my family to make good choices when it comes to food.  We don't ALWAYS eat organic, but we try to as much as possible and we try to eat healthy and well.

I buy a variety of snacks depending on what appeals to me or my family in the store or what is on sale.  But, we always have plain Greek yogurt, lots of fruit, pretzels and non-GMO popcorn kernels available for popping.

I wish I was better about preparing breakfast, but I'm not and it tends to be cold cereal unless Allie makes herself oatmeal or scrambled eggs.

Lunches in our house tend to be salad for me and leftovers of dinner, oatmeal with lots of fruit, smoothies (green & fruit), cheese and crackers or good old p,b &j for the girls.

Dinner is where we try to rock it!  I don't eat meat and for a while neither did my youngest, but now both of my girls and my husband all do eat meat.  It's not as much of a challenge as you would think.

Here are our top 10 MEATLESS Favorite Family Dinners!

1. Lentil Salad with grapes - I've caught my girls coming in for a midnight snack on this one!

2.  Shrimp and Grits - Comfort food at it's finest.  I have made it with and without bacon (I won't use fake bacon--too many preservatives!)

3.  Red Lentil Coconut Curry (I make with Jasmine or Basmati rice) - we all love it!

4.  Tacos - I usually make black beans for myself and steak or chicken for Jason & the girls and we all share the tomatoes, cheese, rice, guac, etc.

5.  Vegetable Curry with Tofu - my oldest asks for this meal every single week!

6.  Summer Veggie Rice Bowls - my husband claims this is his favorite meal of ALL TIME!

7.  Irish Nachos - HOLY YUM FUN!  I have been known to put bacon on half for the fam!

8.  Vegetarian Chili - My husband, who fancies himself a chili connoisseur, says this is amazing chili!

9.  Lemony Lentils with Kale - Ok, this is a fave of mine, but my family eats it with relish!

10.  Hoppin' John  - My kids BEG for this!  No joke.  I have been known to use real bacon in it, but don't tell the vegetarian police.

Of course, pizza, mac & cheese, veggie burgers (when the fam eats all beef burgers), breakfast for dinner, veggie quiches, omelets, & fritattas and gourmet grilled cheese (with goat cheese & figs or brie and chutney) are always a hit as well!

If you are looking for more meatless family meals, please check out my Pinterest boards!