Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Meatloaf

Meatloaf

I know, I know meatloaf is something everyone knows how to make and one of the most basic, boring things.  But, it's my husband's favorite meal.  There really is no recipe, no rhyme or reason to how I make it, but here goes...

3 lbs ground beef
3 eggs (one egg for each pound beef)
3/4 cup bread crumbs
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
garlic powder
onion powder
chili powder
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp curry powder (I know, wierd, right?  but I did this when I was young and dumb and he loves it!)

very often I open my spice cabinet and grab whatever appeals to me: cumin, coriander, oregano, basil, Montreal Steak seasoning, Emeril's seasoning, whatever and throw that in too!

Preheat oven to 375.
Throw everything together in a bowl, take off your rings and mush it up.
My mom always made meatloaf in a 9x 11 pan and that is what I do, as well.  I form a loaf in the middle of the pan,  and bake for an hour.  All of the fat drips out to the sides :)
Remove with two spatulas to a plate, slice and serve.

We eat it plain or with ketchup.  My mom heats a small can of tomato sauce for my dad and makes brown gravy for herself.

And, in my mind, you have to eat meatloaf with mashed potatoes and green beans.  But that is just me.