Friday, July 23, 2010

Decision Made!

Jesus take the wheel
Take it from my hands
Cause I can't do this all on my own


This is a photo of our church.
"Jesus Take the Wheel" by Carrie Underwood is one of A and my favorite songs.  We sing it a lot actually.  Last night, as I was saying my prayers, the lyrics came to me and I put this very big, weighty decision in the hands of God.  Would we be able to give the girls everything they need if we homeschooled?  Would they have friends?  Would they be social?  Would they have great memories of this time of their life?  Would we be able to provide everything they need?

While I am not homeschooling for religious reasons, my faith is one of the strongest feelings I know.  I have always said that the best gift I could give my girls is faith in something bigger than themselves.  There have been many, many times when my faith is what got me through.  There have been many, many times where I have said, "Jesus, please take the wheel!"


My final thoughts as I drifted off to sleep last night were: Jesus, take the wheel.  Cause I can't make this decision on my own.*

 I woke up this morning with the words for the withdrawal letter front and center and I had to type the letters before I even ate breakfast.  

My parents came over to visit Wednesday afternoon and when they saw what the girls and I have been doing, my father said that they are behind me 100%.  Having their blessing means a lot to me.

I spoke with my boss last night and she said that she admires me and respects me for wanting to do this with my girls, not just say, "Oh, the school will take care of it!"  She is accommodating and flexible and will work with me on scheduling :)

We are going to homeschool this year.  As Jessica said, it doesn't have to be forever.  We can re-evaluate in the spring.  But if we don't do it, we will never know.  We need to try it now, when the girls are still young.

I AM SO HAPPY TO HAVE MADE A DECISION!!!!!
WHAT A RELIEF!!!!!!!!!

* Everyone who advised against it, your concerns and comments were heard and thought about.  But in the end, after much investigating, we feel that we can provide the girls well academically, socially, emotionally, physically and creatively.  There is no lack of social activities; in fact we could be social every day of the week if we so chose.  We have our concerns and reservations, but we feel that the benefits outweigh the negatives.  Jason's mind was made up two years ago, when we started thinking and researching this; I was strongly leaning in this direction, but apprehensive about going against tradition.