Friday, July 30, 2010

It's funny...

It's funny how things work out sometimes.

Before the girls got out of school, I had decided that we needed to meet some home schoolers this summer and I had joined several local yahoo groups and emailed the leaders.  I made plans with several different groups, as you can see here and here.  I had made plans with one group, but I didn't hear back until the day before we were supposed to meet and we were in the middle of a heat wave and I had replied that I would love to meet, but if it was too hot, we could postpone.  I didn't get a response and assumed it was too hot and they wanted to postpone.

Then, the day after we were supposed to meet, I got an email from one of the moms in the group, who is new to the area and also has a ten year old girl, and she said they had a great time at the park and would I like to try again.  Well, we made plans for last Friday and then I remembered it was my informal high school reunion.  So...we made plans for yesterday.

I had to fill-in at work in the morning and I was dragging by the time I got there, but so very glad that I went!  We were supposed to meet a mom and her son and daughter, which we did and the girls all got along fabulously.  This mom's daughter is just as friendly and charming as her mom :)

Then, the mom saw two other homeschool moms sitting on a bench and she introduced me.  They had girls as well.  Eight, ten and twelve year old girls!  And then another homeschool mom showed up with girls in that age range too.

We all sat around talking while the kids played.  My girls had a blast.  There was a stream (which is dried up due to the drought) but the deep swimming hole was still there and we all let the kids go in as long as they didn't get their faces wet (possible bacteria in the water).  A is a total nature girl, so she had a blast.  P made friends, but was more subdued as she doesn't really like the outdoors all that much.

The moms were all very nice and friendly and we all got along well.  Interesting conversations about books and European vacations and homeschool field trips.

They have a co-op as well.  And now I wonder if we should have joined the other group so soon.  But it's inexpensive enough that we can try that one for a while and do some field trips with this group and see where it all takes us.  I know the girls definitely want to get together with this group of kids again!

I am not homeschooling for religious reasons, but when things like this just work out that way, I can't help but feel that it's God at work.

I didn't bring my camera yesterday, but I wouldn't post photos of other people's children anyway.  So, instead, here are the awesome, delicious Italian pastries we picked up at our favorite Italian bakery on the way home last night!