Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Creating Our First Homeschool Schedule

This is our first year of homeschooling.  I was so consumed this summer with vacation plans, wrestling with the decision to homeschool and choosing and ordering curriculum, that I decided to wait until AFTER vacation to make our schedule.

I pored over blogs and tried to figure out how best to do this.  I tried Homeschool Skedtrack and Homeschool Tracker. They both seemed very detailed and complicated.  Though I won't rule them out for keeping track of grades and curriculum, they didn't work for me as far as trying to come up with a schedule.

I really wanted something that I could use from any computer, as we have several at home and I have several available at work.  My husband suggested Google Docs and that was a great suggestion!  I love Google docs, you can do a document, spreadsheet, presentation, etc. and access it from any computer, anywhere.  You can even share it.  And it is FREE!

I started by just putting Day 1 and what I wanted to accomplish in each subject with each girl.  Day 2, Day 3, Day 4...

Then I decided that I wanted to take off several days for A's birthday in early November, perhaps we will plan a little trip then.  Something fun.  I then looked at how many units in our textbooks there were, did some simple division and decided where I wanted to be by early November and call the day before A's birthday the end of our first term!!  Wow, we can celebrate two things!!

We joined a co-op on Mondays (where they will take Latin, Art, Drama, Yoga, Science and Recorder), so we won't do any of our own lessons on Mondays.  But we may do lessons on Saturdays and Sundays, if we have field trips scheduled during the week.  So far we have three field trips scheduled for this term :)

We have a playgroup we joined every other Tuesday afternoon, so we will get our work done on Tuesday mornings.  The girls will have Sewing with Mama on Thursday afternoons.  And we have the option of homeschool clubs, Girl Scouts and a park day on Fridays, but we have not committed to anything yet.  I want to get started before we commit to anything else!