Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Some Things Don't Change

Well here it is, our fourteenth anniversary. I guess thinking back I would have thought things would have been different in our lives. I'm not sure how they would have been different but somehow different.  Maybe we would have been drinking tea and reading the paper on Sunday mornings. Perhaps living in Princeton or Boston. We might have gone onto getting further into higher education from a University or developing ourselves in some sort of average American career. I guess I can liken it to say hearing about someone, wondering how that person looks and being totally surprised that they look completely different than how you imagined. Not that you are ever disappointed, just surprised.

Well we have developed ourselves intellectually. She is working, albeit by choice and only a dozen hours or so a week and my career has brought me to areas unforeseen fourteen years ago. I never would have imagined that things would be the "about" the same as it was fourteen years ago though certainly different in other ways.

This evening we went out to celebrate the day and as usual, we had to make a giant circuit.  When we have errands we like to go out only once. For instance tonight on our anniversary, we went to the hardware store, school supply store, looked at a job, got a hair cut, get dinner, and oh yeah go to Staples on the way home. All of course after I've worked a full day. I am exhausted, she is and so are the kids. I am convinced that we aquired this mentality from my third floor walk up apartment in Princeton I had when we started dating or our first house set 2.8 miles atop a Connecticut mountain.

Not certainly a romantic anniversary by any stretch of the imagination but a very nice one, and you know what, I don't think i'd want it any other way.  An evening with the three people I love most in the world.  What more can one ask for?

Thank you sweetie for sticking by me and being my bff for all of these years.  You have put up with things that I know tried your patience at times.  You have helped me to grow and encouraged me and stood by me along the way.  You have been a most excellent mother and wife.  I know that if anyone can successfully homeschool their children it is you (and I will help, of course!).  My love for you certainly has not changed.

I love you!

Happy Anniversary,

JDog