Saturday, September 25, 2010

Living Room

Living Room

When we bought this house, the walls were covered with a turquoise and orange aztec design Southwest wallpaper and floor was covered with berber carpets that, even after being cleaned, reeked of cat urine.  There were acoustic tiles on the ceiling.

We ripped out the carpet before we even moved in and the floors were in pristine condition :-)
One morning, as the girls, then 3 and 1 and I were eating breakfast, I started ripping the wallpaper off the walls until it was all off.  Then I had to scrub and scrape the glue off, prime and paint.  
The ceiling tiles came off without much problem and a little spackle and paint later...you would never know they had ever been there!
I am really happy with the way our living room turned out.  I think it is warm and cozy.
This is room where we do most of our entertaining.  We also read in here.  Sometimes I blog in here.  When Jason gets home from work, if we don't sit out on the deck, we sit in here and talk about our day.
I had decorated our previous house rather modern.  I had all light wood.  I had bought this wine cabinet at Crate & Barrel.  We thought of replacing it with something in a darker wood, but we couldn't find anything that we really liked and that was in our budget, so last winter I stripped the finish and stained this wine cabinet with red mahogany stain to match the rest of our living room furniture.
On the end table is a photo of A and my sister-in-law.  A was a flower girl in my brother and sister-in-law's wedding.  They both look so beautiful.  I love this photo.
When I was born, my father gave my mother a rocking chair.  My grandmother, my mom's mother, who I called Naunie, loved the rocker.  So my father found this one and refinished it for her.  
I have always loved these globes.  When I was a little girl, one of my parents' friends had one and I thought it was so cool and so beautiful.  I always wanted one.  My Uncle gave us one for Christmas a few years ago.

I love these shelves with frames of our family at different ages and stages of life :)