Monday, December 6, 2010

Holiday Blues

Remember when I said that I wanted to keep this blog authentic about the good, the bad and the ugly?  I don't want to JUST write about the good or homeschooling, but about our real life? ... Jason and I had a big difference in perspective this weekend that put a big damper on my holiday mood.  We are working through it.  As is usually the case, once we can clear the air and see the forest for the trees, we can grow from it.  And that is where we are now.  We are working through it and we are growing.

In addition to that, this weekend I had wanted to go see my husband's stepfather, who has been in and out of the hospital the last few weeks.  But, once again, he told us that he didn't want us to come.  I had spoken with him several times and he was sounding better and stronger, but when we spoke Sunday...my concern flag went back up.  I was adamant about going (we had made some food to bring and the girls had some gifts for him) and he was adamant that we not come.  In the end, I always let Jason make the final call with his family, and he decided we honor his stepfather's wishes.

The bright side was that, on Sunday we got a bunch of stuff done around here that we had been putting off.  Just little things, like touching up the paint on trim and hanging pictures on the walls and organizing things a bit better.  Things that we kept saying we would get to, but we just kept piling up for "when we had the time".

Today the girls and I had co-op, which was great.  But now I really think I am getting a cold.  It's going around.  I keep seeing it in everyone's facebook statuses and several of the kids and moms at co-op were complaining of sore throats and congestion...

We were considering a trip to the city with my mom to see the decorations this week, but it's frigidly cold (in the high 20s!) and with this possible cold I am getting... it's not a good idea.  And I am disappointed about that too.

So there you have it, the not so happy and good side of my life right now.

But there is always some good, right?  It is up to us to find it.  We got a lot done this weekend.  That is good.  Today Jason got a BIG pat on the back from his Division Manager and several other people.  That is good.  Today we had a lot of fun with our friends at co-op.  That is good.  Tonight, as we read "Little Women" my girls fought over who got to read aloud...they both really wanted to and they are both loving the book.  That is good.  We are going to see "Dickens A Christmas Carol" this weekend.  That is good.  Our church is hosting a "One Night in Bethlehem" play and craft and potluck this weekend and our girls will be performing in the choir.  That is good.  We also have a Christmas party to attend this weekend.  That is good.  We have work and our health and our family and friends and so much to be thankful for.  That is good.  We have been blessed and writing this blog post has helped me see that.  Having this blog is good.

Children are nestled all snug in their beds :)