Sunday, December 12, 2010

Holiday Favorites

My friend Janet at Cyber Rhetoric blog wrote a post showing all of her favorite ornaments and another post sharing all of her favorite holiday movies and songs.  I loved reading both and getting a glimpse into what makes Christmas feel like Christmas for Janet.  I decided to write a similar post.

My favorite Christmas song is The Little Drummer Boy.







My favorite Christmas movie is Nestor the Long Eared Donkey.  I don't think this aired too much, but I remember crying my eyes out for poor Nestor every time.







My favorite Christmas book is The Small One by Alex Walsh and Jesse Clay:


My favorite Christmas gift I ever got was the gift Jason gave me the year we were married.  It is our Nativity.

My favorite Christmas table ornament:
When I was a little girl, my aunt and uncle used to take me to see The Nutcracker Ballet at Lincoln Center.  One year when I was very young, they gave me this nutcracker.  He makes it feel like Christmas for me.


My favorite Christmas tree ornaments 
My mom made these ornaments when I was about ten (there are actually many more and I love them all) but here are photos of two of them:
.

My favorite Christmas cookies to make and eat are Mystery bars.  Our whole family usually eats the entire first batch in a matter of hours.  We can't stop ourselves.  Now, instead of fighting it, I actually plan for it.  

Here is the recipe for Mystery Bars

1 c. butter
1 c. brown sugar
40 (approx.) saltine crackers
1 (6 oz.) chocolate chips
Optional chopped nuts, any kind you like: peanuts, walnuts, pistachios, pecans, hazelnuts


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Boil butter and brown sugar for 3 to 5 minutes, slowly. Pour over crackers that are spread on a foil-lined jelly roll pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes. Take out of oven and sprinkle with chocolate chips. When chips are melted, spread with back of spoon and if desired, sprinkle with chopped nuts.  Then place pan in refrigerator or out on a cold porch to cool.  When hardened, break or cut into servings.


What are your favorite Christmas songs, movies, books, cookies?  What makes Christmas feel like Christmas to you?