Friday, March 25, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal

In my life this week...We were on spring break!  I thought about spending the week doing my spring cleaning and I spent a fair amount of time washing windows and vacuuming under beds and in closets.  But I also read a lot and planned the rest of our year :)  I cleaned up my computer (burned photos to discs, got rid of files I didn't need).  I worked on the girls' portfolios.  
The best part of my week was having my friend KOJ and her daughter over on Tuesday.  We've been friends since high school.  We still have so much in common.  I love hanging out with old friends who've known me forever and accept me as I am, there is no explaining...just understanding and fun and support. 
KOJ and I talked about how we wish Dr. JJ lived closer ;-)

In our homeschool this week...We were on Spring Break! 
The girls still read a ton.  A read several Nancy Drew novels as well as Pushcart Wars for co-op.
P read several Diary of a Wimpy Kid books and she is working on The Wind in the Willows for co-op.
I planned and set goals to finish all of our current curricula by the end of June.
We will take a few weeks off, but I think we may school through the summer.  But more laid back and relaxed.  I am not sure how yet... I have several ideas I am considering....

Places we're going and people we're seeing...We were back to co-op this week!  The girls were thrilled to see their friends from co-op again!  
Hanging with KOJ & her daughter was wonderful.
Of course, the girls also went to choir, hung with their neighborhood pals at the library and did sewing with mama...
The girls are participating in an art show tomorrow (Friday) with other homeschool kids from all over our state!


My favorite thing this week was...Getting ready for the art show!
My girls are so excited!!  They love art and are very creative.
One of my definite goals for summer, in addition to the art camp they are attending, is to find more time for art!!!!!  I love the Art Projects for Kids Blog and  I want to do more projects from there with my girls!

What's working/not working for us...I had thought we would not finish Story of the World, but when I set about planning, I realized that we have just 16 chapters to go :)   We should have no problem finishing by June, even though we plan to dive deep with the Romans, as we did with the Egyptians and the Greeks :)

Homeschool questions/thoughts I have...I was thinking we would school all year, and I am still thinking that.  But I think our summer term is going to be more laid back and relaxed.  I'm just not sure how yet.... I have several thoughts... Definitely more art; perhaps more geography; perhaps Latin...

As for me, tonight I am looking forward to driving home from the homeschool art show (possibly dinner out?).  I plan to work on Saturday.  Sunday I will be looking forward to our new pastor preaching at church!!


A photo, video, link, or quote to share...Several months ago, I asked friends and family if they wanted email updates when I posted to my blog.  KOJ said, "Sign me up!"
It's so awesome to have a friend for over 20 years.  Someone who has known you through so many different phases of your life, someone who has stood by you and believes in you and supports you and encourages you.  This is for you, KOJ: