Sunday, October 2, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal - 4

In my life this week.... A and I had a GNO!  It was fabulous!  Just to be able to sit alone, in a nice restaurant and talk to my daughter and really appreciate the very fine young woman that she is becoming!

In our homeschool this week....We learned about Constantinople in history.  Of course, I could not resist including the song, so we watched this video with beautiful photos of Constantinople.  The girls also looked up images of the Hagia Sophia.  We read The Acrobatic Empress and the girls had fun playing with the paper dolls.



Places we are going and people we are seeing... A and I went out to dinner, I went to work, we went to a friend's birthday party, the girls had choir and youth group and piano.



My favorite thing this week was... I had assigned the girls to look through The Code of Justinian and pick one law and write a paragraph on why they agreed or disagreed with it.  I loved their answers!

Also, they made connections this week, in reading The Acrobatic Empress, P realized that Apollonia was probably named for Apollo.  A realized that our butterflies knew what to do because of their DNA...they are making real connections.

What's working/not working for us...  I had heard that the first year was scary and rough and nerve wracking and it all came together in the second year...that has been SO true for us!  We are learning so much and just love all of our curriculum.  My girls are upset when we don't do science or history.

Things I am working on... accepting myself for who I am.

I'm reading.... Then Came You by Jennifer Weiner!  I am LOVING it!  The very first page describes the mall I go to ALL.THE.TIME and the second page describes exactly where my husband was when I was reading it - how often does that happen??

The girls are reading... A is deeply immersed in the world of The Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares.  She has read several of the books this week, re-watched the movies, and is working on her own essay about a similar topic.

P is still loving Julia DeVillers and is making her way through all of the novels.  She has read Trading Faces and Cleared for Takeoff and is now working through Times Squared :)

I'm cooking.... my brother and sister in law and niece are coming over on Sunday to celebrate my brother's birthday.  My sister in law has Celiac's disease and can't have flour, so this is the cake that I am making...can you say "Who Needs Flour!?!!"

I'm grateful for.... my friend who gave me the idea to spend a special night with A and I am grateful for that super fabulous time and hope it is the start of a new tradition!

I'm praying for.... my girls to always make good decisions!


This weekend I am looking forward to... the installation of our new pastor at church Sunday morning and hanging out with my brother and sister-in-law and niece Sunday afternoon!