Friday, October 14, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal - 6

In my life this week.... The girls and I were out and about and came across a rug for the living room.  We have hardwood floors and we used to have a rug in there but when our dog, Sydney, was at the end of her life she had a lot of accidents and we needed to get rid of that old rug.  I had looked for a new one, but didn't find anything I liked for the price.  I had given up on this - as it has been two years since we got rid of the old rug.  But when we were out and about, we found this rug that we all loved and agreed would look great at a reasonable price!

In our homeschool this week.... A learned about reciprocal fractions; P has been zooming ahead in Division.  

We learned about Muhammed and the similarities between Muhammed and Jesus; the Koran and the Bible.  The girls had heard so many {unfortunate} negative things about Muslims and did not know the core beliefs of the Muslim faith.  I didn't realize just how much the girls knew and understood about certain topics.  It was very eye-opening for all of us.

We decided not to move ahead in science just yet, but to spend our time on scientific observations of photosynthesis through the experiment conducted last week.

Helpful homeschool tips or advice to share... If you don't have a homeschool group - create one!  If you want to go on a field trip or take the kids to the park, send out an email to all of your homeschool pals asking if they want to come along!

Places we are going and people we are seeing... We had some homeschool friends over for dinner last Saturday; the girls came to work with me this week; they also attended choir and youth group.  We went shopping and played around with midis at the Apple store.  We had our homeschool group over for tea and play one day.

When your mom works at the library, you have access to lots of cool craft supplies and can make your stuffed animals Halloween costumes.

What's working/not working for us... Piano is just not working.  After two months, trying two different piano teachers and a music school we have decided that although we want them to do this, it's not something they want.  As a parent, sometimes you have to pick your battles and this is not one I want to fight.

My Favorite Thing This Week...
how things work out.  I have been stressing about a dead tree that needs to come down near our bedroom and a roof that needs to be repaired and my Tim Allen husband wants to do it all himself...and there just doesn't seem to be time...but after a whiny week on my part, my husband has a plan that I can live with!


What we are reading... I have honestly been playing with Wordpress.org in all my spare time and trying to decide if hosting my own site and then paying for a framework or custom design is the best option for me.  A good friend suggested canceling it (first 30 days I get my money back) and putting the money toward CS5.

P read Take Two and Times Squared both by Julia DeVillers this week.

A finished The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series this week.  A LOVES - and I mean LOVES - The Mother-Daughter Book Club series by Heather Vogel Frederick.  She has read all of the books at least once.  A new book in the series was just released and I bought it for her.  She was frantically finishing The Sisterhood books so she could read it.  We had been dreaming of a real bona fide Reading Day since we began homeschooling and Friday was that day.  The girls snuggled up in bed with books all day.  (and I spent the day playing with Wordpress.org).

A photo, video or link to share.... My girls and I spent some time looking over this: Next Gen Female Entrepreneurs 25 and Under

This Weekend I am Looking Forward to...  The girls down the street (aka the homeschool neighbors) are sleeping over tonight :)  Tomorrow I have work and the homeschool neighbor dad invited us over for dinner tomorrow night.  I am not really sure what we are doing Sunday, church and...