Thursday, December 8, 2011

Christmas, Friends & Marriage

1.  I am thankful for Christmas.  It is my absolute favorite time of the year.  Our house is so cozy when it is all decorated.  I love finding great gifts and anticipating the recipients' reactions.

2.  I love that Christmas is a time of year when I bake a lot.  I enjoy baking, but I just never make time for it the rest of the year.  Baking cookies is one more way that I show my family how much I love them.

3.  I am thankful for my parents taking the girls last weekend.  Jason and I got to hang out, have long conversations, shop, check out some breweries and just enjoy being together.
I am thankful for this sign, which we found in a shop last weekend.
It is everything we strive for in our homeschool family life.
4.  I am thankful for my girls' (and my) friends.  When we brought them home to learn I was so afraid that they wouldn't have friends.  As silly as it sounds I was even concerned that when they got to the age to text, they would have no one to text with.  My girls now honestly have more and better friends than they ever did in school!  They have our homeschool friends that they think of as sisters and our homeschool neighbors that we share meals with and make plans for events with. They text with Kei from Homeschool Girls and they have FaceTime playdates with Nator and Gracie from Family Team.  We are so blessed with great friends!

5.  I am thankful for my awesome blog friends.  I am thankful for horse-filled Google+ Hangouts with my fellow Thinking Mothers, Susan and Mary.  I am thankful for email exchanges with Lisa from Mommie Dearest Strikes Again and Karen from Homeschool Girls and phone calls with Lisa at Home to 4 Kiddos.

6.  I am thankful for how things work out.  One of my concerns when we began homeschooling was how we would cover art and music.  Through our church and a local university I have managed to find some very budget-friendly options that have been excellent experiences for the girls.

7.  I am thankful for my husband's job.  I am thankful for the opportunities that he has been offered and the new and exciting things on the horizon.

8.  I am thankful for being able to stay home and take care of my family.  Yes, I work part time 10-14 hours a week, but for the most part I consider myself a stay at home mom.

9.  I am thankful for conversations that Jason and I have been having lately.  He said he felt that we were wealthy because we have everything we need.  He remembered when we were younger and we were idealists and now we are realists, we realize there are frustrations in life but there is still so much to be thankful for!

10.  I am thankful that most of the time my husband can fix things around the house.  We had some shingles lift in the Hurricane back in late August.  Several roofers came out, all were honest that we don't need a roof...but none wanted to tackle the leaks!  A friend of a friend came by...oh three weeks ago and after poking around said that we have fasteners that are not in the right place (according to everything I read on-line this is the most common installation issue).  He said he would come back and take care of it.  I called last weekend and the guy is working 7 days a week...and just doesn't have time.   I keep googling how could we possibly fix this ourselves.  I am so concerned that all the sheathing is going to be a mess the longer this waits.  I have heard of how difficult it is to get a contractor in to do something...but since normally we can do things ourselves, this is my first experience with it.  Update: I called him today and he said that he keeps hoping to come by after work, but it gets dark early now and he is working 7 days a week.  I asked if we could pay him to teach Jason how to do it and he said he would come by this afternoon...but never did.  I am assuming that it is because he got done late and it was dark.  I am PRAYING that he stops by tomorrow or over the weekend when Jason is home!