Friday, February 10, 2012

Favorite Resource: Pinterest

I am linking up with Susan for
Favorite Resource This Week

When I first got on Pinterest, I thought it was all about making boards of things I liked.
It was fun for a while...I made boards of clothes I liked and houses and rooms and decorating ideas.
But, honestly, I didn't have time for that.

Then, around Christmastime, I revisited Pinterest.
I got ideas for Christmas decorations to make and Christmas cookies to make.
Ok, now I can see where this may be useful...an easy way to keep track of cool stuff you want to try on the internet!

Right after Christmas, it seemed that every article I read on SEO, mentioned that Pinterest sent more viewers to blogs than any other internet source.
Hmmmmm...
Susan and I were in the midst of deciding if and how we would proceed with Thinking Mothers,
and we "thought" utilizing Pinterest would be great...
and possibly bring more exposure to homeschool bloggers.
We decided that linkys are great...but what happens to those ideas a month later?
Does anyone remember them?
Organizing them into subject boards would be helpful to keep those ideas handy for when they are needed.

I can not tell you how often I have read a post and six months later when we are covering the topic, I remember the post/project and spend HOURS scouring the web for it!
Often to no avail.




In addition to the Thinking Mothers Pinterest,
I have created homeschool boards on my personal Pinterest account.

My girls are both very creative.
The more we homeschool, the more I realize that they are very visual and love to draw diagrams.
They love to sketch and paint and create.

I am embarrassed to admit that I often don't find time for art in our homeschool.
I felt math, language arts, history and science were the "important" subjects and art was filler...
but I realized that it was something my girls were good at...
and maybe just drawing detailed diagrams of plant parts and bone cross-sections was not enough.

They needed some skill,
some understanding of color theory,
some ideas on how to draw a face
or eyes...

Enter 


I spent some time pinning arts and crafts projects that I thought the girls would like...
we spent time four days this week opening pinterest, selecting an activity,
hunting down supplies
and 
CREATING!