Friday, June 22, 2012

My Father-in-law

I am thankful that after a very scary weekend, through the wonders of modern medicine my father-in-law has gained some strength and we have been given some more time with him.  Although there has been some ups and downs this week, some good and some bad news, we are feeling like things are better than we had anticipated.
My father-in-law and Ollie, they both share a goofy charm...and believe me, if you told my father-in-law that, he would not be upset at all, he would say, "You are lovin' me!"

I am thankful that in the last 6 years, we have developed a really great, fun, teasing, cute relationship with my father-in-law.  I am so, so grateful for this time with him.  Prior to that, we didn't know him in this way.

I am thankful for the way that he loves my girls.

I am thankful for the way that he loves my husband.  Dick became part of the family when he met my husband, an adorable chubby toddler, at a party and started playing with him.  Then he would stop by my MIL's house to play with Jason and eventually took her and my husband and his older brother to Knotts Berry Farm, and the rest, as they say, is history....at least that is the story we are always told.

I am thankful that Dick's sisters are here.

I am thankful for my brother-in-law's selflessness these last couple of years in sticking by my father-in-law.  I am thankful for the relationship that they share.
Something I have always loved about Jason's family is how laid-back and FUN they are!

I am thankful for a conversation that my father-in-law and I had several years ago about my mother-in-law and how she really did like me...despite what some people had said.

I am thankful for the conversations that we have been having these last few days with my father-in-law; we have gained insight and understanding into some tough things that happened and we have found peace with it.

I am thankful for all of your prayers and messages and thoughts of kindess and love as our family makes our way through this valley.

I am thankful for the time we spent with my father-in-law.

I am thankful for my father-in-law's humor; our little teasing conversations; when he taught me to play Indian Poker; how proud he was at our wedding; how he loves talking about projects for our home; how he loves dogs and babies; how he says "you're lovin' me" when he loved an idea we had.
My father-in-law and I, Christmas 2010