Tuesday, October 23, 2012

My 10 Favorite Books to Read to My Kids

1.  Just in Case You Ever Wonder... by Max Lucado
This book is EVERYTHING I want my kids to know.  I will always be there for them and God will ALWAYS be there for them.  I always give this as a baby shower or christening gift.

2. Love You Forever by Robert Munsch and Sara McGraw
I can barely ever make it through this book without crying.  I only hope that my children love me that much one day.

3.  Guess How Much I Love You? by Sam McBratney
I remember reading this as a pre-school teacher and then when I read it to my own kids it took on so much more meaning!

4.  Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown
A classic.

5.  If I Could Keep You Little... by Marianne Richmond
Isn't it so true?  I love watching my girls grow up and see the young women they are becoming, but there will always be a part of me that will miss them as babies.

6.  The Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
This is actually Jason's favorite book.  A friend of his mom's had a copy and he would always read it when he went their house.  He loves to read this book to our girls and it has, in many ways, had a huge impact on his life and worldview.

7.  Where the Sidewalk Ends, Falling Up, The Light in the Attic by Shel Silverstein
These are Jason's special books with the girls.  I am not allowed to read them.  Jason makes up funny voices and gets really into acting out each poem.  It was a bedtime ritual since the girls were teeny tiny...and sometimes even now he will read a few poems.

8.  Unstoppable Me by Wayne Dyer
I love the adult and the children's books by Wayne Dyer.  I love the message in all of them...a positive message of a spiritual influence in our lives.

9.  The Mitten by Jan Brett
This was a favorite when I was a a pre-school teacher.  I love how the animals get together to make a difference.

10.  Wherever You Are: My Love Will Find You by Nancy Tillman
Being the mom I want to be means putting my children first all the time, without question.  I like to find books to read to them that show what this means...sometimes I think my words and actions are inadequate, or I just do them and say them so much that they lose meaning...I love finding books that convey this message in different ways.