Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Catching up...Allume, Hershey, Whitaker Science Center

Catching up...

In many ways I feel like I have not blogged in so long...prior to Hurricane Sandy, I had taken on the Nester's challenge of blogging about 1 topic for 31 days.  So much happened in that time and now that our lives are getting back to normal, I'd like to share some of that with you...

I went to Allume...


I learned a TON, but the best part was meeting so many bloggers that I had never met in person...I kept hugging them and saying, "You are REAL!  You don't just live in my computer!"  They must have thought I was REALLY crazy ;-)


Jason and the girls came with me.  Years ago, Jason and I went away without the girls and it was difficult for all of us.  When we came home we promised them that we would not go away without them again until they are ready.  

I loved having them with me.  I have a really hard time spending money on myself.  Ask my husband, if I buy myself even a shirt or pair of shoes, I also buy him a shirt or a sweater and the girls each something.  I don't know, it's a thing I have.  I feel selfish if I spend money on myself.  So, knowing that Jason and the girls were getting a little mini-vacation out of the deal really helped me to be able to feel okay about going to Allume.
Bridges in Harrisburg
 Jason is happy going anywhere as long as there are photo opps.  He loves to set up the tripod and play with the settings on his camera and get some great shots!



Capital Building, Harrisburg, PA



Hershey Park

On Saturday, Jason and the girls went to Hershey Park.

Cowgirl
The girls were able to

in Hershey Park, which worked out great since Halloween was completely cancelled where we live due to power lines and trees down after Hurricane Sandy.


The bumper cars were apparently a huge hit and they enjoyed all bumping into each other over and over and over and over and over and over....


 They came back happy and excited with bags loaded with Hershey's candy from trick or treating in the park.  They were excited to tell me about their day and eager to hear about mine.  As much as I loved Allume, I kind of would have rather been with them!  These are the things we learn about ourselves...




Whitaker Science Center

One day Jason and the girl went to the Whitaker Science Center, which was conveniently attached to our hotel so they were able to go see an Imax movie, come back and eat lunch, go back to the museum, come back and swim, go back to the museum...

They said it was the best science museum they had ever been to.  First of all, it was not as crowded as the science center by us usually is. Secondly, the people that worked there were eager to show you things and talk to you.  They were able to go into a hurricane simulator and learn about the filming of one of our favorite movies: "Julie and Julia".


There was also some kind of a mind control game that Jason did not get photos of but apparently you can move a ball through a tunnel using your brainwaves.  I would like to go back just to check that out.