Friday, December 14, 2012

Week of December 10, 2012

:: We went to the Faraday Lectures at Rutgers.  We do this every Christmas.  We love it.  It's fast-paced, but after three years, we have really learned a lot.  
:: The Faraday Lectures at Rutgers go through all of the experiments in the introductory level Physics course.  Below, there is a beaker that they break using soundwaves.

:: Jason has been cooking up a storm.  He has baked bread almost every day.  He started a sourdough starter last week and baked the first batch from it this week--and it was, by far, the best bread ever!  He has also made pasta from scratch, marinara from scratch, brownies from scratch and his famous Caesar salad dressing--which I am addicted to-- several times from scratch!

:: Jason has been doing a lot with the girls in science, math and history...while I am at work or cleaning ...or, let's be honest, laying in bed reading :)

::  I assigned a writing assignment to be completed by Christmas.  The girls use Google docs and email me their drafts each day so I can see the progress they make, highlight grammatical issues, etc.  Piper had lost track of the outline she had made for the assignment and when I pointed that out, her response was:
I know but I got lost in writing and it just became fun.
How can I disagree with that??

:: We have been considering joining a co-op in January.  It is a co-op started last year by several of our homeschool friends.  We visited a couple of weeks ago and all loved it.  We have decided to join the January-March term -- 8 weeks is not a big commitment, but will give us a chance to see how this fits into our schedule.

:: I have been doing a lot of thinking this week about changes to our homeschool in January.  My girls have an interest in art and a gift for art and I want to find more time for more creative things in our homeschool.  I am trying to figure out how I can be satisfied that we are doing enough math, science, history and expository writing (creative writing is something my girls do all the time on their own, so not a problem) and also be more relaxed and open and loose so the girls can have plenty of time when the creative bug bites.  I really feel that getting lost in one's work is where true magic happens and I want that for my girls.

::  On Wednesday night, Jason made a big dinner, we opened a bottle of good wine and watched the 12:12:12 concert.  It was excellent.  I was so moved that all of these famous people wanted to help this area that I call home.  I am especially moved by people who have become famous but have not forgotten where they came from and are always wanting to reach out and lend a hand.  While we were watching the concert, we got on facebook and commented with some of our friends, many from high school and several of our adult friends.  We all decided that we were really lucky to have grown up with the music we grew up with.

:: This weekend is crazy busy with two Christmas parties with friends, one family party, Piper performing with the Rutgers Childrens Choir and Allie's art class.

I hope you are all enjoying the holiday season!

Linking with:

Homegrown Learners