Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Stocking up on Frozen Shrimp!

Despite having done the inventory on both my kitchen side-by-side freezer (which looks cool, but you can't fit anything in there!) and the HUGE upright freezer in the basement and discovering that we have AT LEAST 20 dinner in there and VOWING to NOT go food shopping until we make a dent in some of those dinners...I found myself at the supermarket this morning.  Mostly because Saturday is P's ballet recital and the family is coming in and of course, coming for dinner!  And partly because I am so incredibly upset about what is going on in the Gulf and Jason and I were talking for hours about it again last night and suddenly it dawned on us that the price of shrimp might skyrocket....and our family LOVES shrimp...grilled shrimp, shrimp scampi, shrimp primavera, shrimp diablo, shrimp skewers, cocktail shrimp...so I went to the supermarket and LOADED up on shrimp.  I might be wrong, as there was somewhat of a price break on it this week.  And it may seem really cold and unfeeling and cruel to some people.  I really do care about what happens in the Gulf, I have joined numerous groups and watch events and have been calling and emailing BP executives.  But when you think about it, if the shrimp population is greatly reduced, well that will drive prices up and if your family is like ours and LOVES shrimp, you may want to go stock up too!

And before you say that you don't like the frozen shrimp...a lot of what you buy "fresh" was previously frozen.  The kind I buy says on the package that it was frozen on the boat right after being caught.