Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Cayenne Pepper & Freezer Inventory

Over the last few weeks, Jason and I have been working out regularly together.  He is a lot more disciplined than I am, and I really appreciated the push.  I eat pretty well, but I had read several articles about how eating protein between 3 and 4 pm was a MUST.  I've never liked the energy drinks, but several articles purported that what you need is really protein at that time of day, which makes sense.  So, I started eating cottage cheese or yogurt when the kids got home from school.  And I did feel a lot more energetic :)

Many of those same articles advised that cayenne pepper boosts your metabolism.  Now, I am in my late thirties and my metabolism is not what it used to be.  I like spicy food, so I bought some cayenne pepper and started sprinkling away...on my cottage cheese, salads, dinner, etc.  After several days, I decided to try it on air popped popcorn (one of the things an article recommended)... First, I should say that I was on the phone when I started eating it...and I started coughing uncontrollably and had to get off the phone.  I thought maybe the talking made me somehow inhale some cayenne pepper?  I don't know...after I stopped coughing, I ate some more and again, started coughing and sneezing uncontrollably and developed a horrible sinus infection.  Apparently, the cayenne pepper irritated my mucus membranes and bacteria that is always lingering around found its' golden opportunity!  So, anyway, the point of all of that was to be a warning to be careful if you decide to try the cayenne pepper metabolic boost trick.  But, if you want to try to protein between 3 and 4 pm--I HIGHLY recommend it!

Despite being kind of under the weather, I managed to clean out my craft closet today, as well as the refrigerator and both freezers!  And took an inventory of everything!  I love getting organized like that!  It turns out we have at least 20 dinners in the freezers and tonight we are having some Italian wedding soup that I had made a large amount of and frozen and forgotten about!  I love having a home cooked meal without having to cook!