Saturday, November 13, 2010

Random Thoughts

Inspired by various blogs I was reading, we started a Gratitude Pitcher for the month of November.  Every day we each write down one thing we are thankful for, fold up the paper and put it in the pitcher.  We have decided to read them all on Thanksgiving morning, as we eat our sticky buns and watch the parade.


I have no idea what I want for Christmas.  I know what I am buying everyone.  I have lists and lists for that.  I've even gotten a lot of the shopping done.  I love to give.

I guess that says a lot...I am content with what I have...

I wish my house had more character, wide moldings, built in book cases, window seats, radiators...

I wish I were a knitter.  I love yarn.  I love all of the colors and the textures.  I love the bamboo needles.  I love knit scarves and hats and mittens.... I buy the yarn, the needles, the patterns...and I never find the time to knit.

I used to do needlework when I watched TV.  Now I watch an hour of TV a week...and spend the rest of my time reading.

Maybe I should read less and knit more.

Nah.

I am currently in love with Jennifer Weiner.  I had read "Best Friends Forever" with a book club a year and a half ago...and just thought it was so-so.  Recently, I read "Fly Away Home" and now I am obsessed..."Little Earthquakes", "In Her Shoes", etc.  I love reading authors!

Author's voices are comforting to me.  I think of them fondly, the way I think of friends.  Sometimes I yearn for Elizabeth Berg's voice, or a visit with Jodi Picoult; I look forward to the winter releases of Barbara Delinsky and Kristin Hannah.  And every once in a while, I just need to pick up Laura Ingalls Wilder, or Norma Klein.

A recently read "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle, a book I remember fondly.  I borrowed it from my Naunie's library when I was staying there for a week over the summer when I was 11 or 12, and I read it laying in the big, lumpy bed or on the aluminum lawn chair under the big tree in her backyard.  So funny, that when I think of "Anne of Green Gables" or "Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm" I also think of sitting in the redwood chairs under the pine trees in my parents' backyard.