Friday, April 1, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal

The Homeschool Mother's Journal
In my life this week...As I burned all the photos on my computer to disc, I realized once again how I LOVE having this blog to at least do something with some of those photos. At least we have some place to look at pictures since we don't print them all out all the time. I love that for the rest of their lives, no matter where they are in the world, my girls can look at this blog and remember this time in their lives. How cool is that??
We learned about the phases of the moon using an unshaded lightbulb as the sun and a ball as the moon, we watched the rotations and reflections of light.
In our homeschool this week...We had one of those weeks where everything just flowed seamlessly. We started to read a biography about Isaac Newton which began with Aristotle's theories--a great end to our Ancient Greek unit. We learned about phases of the moon and pendulums. We learned what geocentric and heresy and heretic means. We also learned about Galilieo in Science. We learned about Remus and Romulus in History, and we made fasces and tasted cecina. We memorized auxiliary verbs and learned about verb phrases in grammar. Both girls continue to enjoy their math programs and I continue to love that we can have different programs that meet each girl's unique learning style and need. 


Places we're going and people we're seeing...We went to co-op. We celebrated my grandmother's 92nd birthday with her. The girls went to choir and handbell rehearsal and youth group. They did their math and grammar at the library with their public school pals. They had sewing with mama on Thursday and my dad invited us all over for a big dinner Thursday night :)


My favorite thing this week was... We got a keyboard. I knew my girls could read music, but was not prepared for P to start playing actual songs from books and looking for videos to answer her questions on youtube. 


What's working/not working for us... Trying to find time for piano lessons...there are just so many things that we want to do and so much time. But, as Jason points out, Rome was not built in a day (ha! and we are studying Rome)...there will be time for lessons in the summer or fall. I really appreciate all of the messages to the same effect. I always want the girls to be able to do anything and everything they want and I put waaay too much pressure on myself to make that happen. Right now we are concentrating on finding some good quality videos and books that teach the girls the right way to do things, so that they don't develop bad habits when they play. 


Homeschool questions/thoughts I have... After attending the NJ Homeschool Art Show last week, I decided to change my attitude toward art. My family loves art. My girls have taken outside classes, but we could not fit them in this year, so it is up to me to fit it in to our week. I am thinking of art the same way I think of history or science. After attending a watercolor seminar, at the suggestion of the teacher, we spent a day on technique: work from back to front, keep your paper wet, but not too wet. use paper towels to blot areas. blend colors. Then we spent a day learning about surrealism and Marc Chagall. The girls LOVED this, LOVED his style of art and paintings and had a BLAST making their own Chagall-inspired watercolors! 
On the first day, we practiced watercolor technique. 

 Then the next day, we created our Chagall inspired masterpieces:


As for me, tonight , Jason is going out with friends and I am looking forward to sushi (for A & I; something else for P who doesn't like fish) and a Redbox movie with my {best} girls. 
On Saturday Jason is working and there is talk of some spring clothes shopping floating through my house--gotta love girls ;-) Sunday I am looking forward to church and whatever strikes our fancy for the day--gourmet cooking with the hubs, reading all day with the family, going someplace with awesome photo opps....


A photo, video, link, or quote to share...


"Here's to the crazy ones, the misfits, the rebels, the troublemakers, the round pegs in the square holes... the ones who see things differently -- they're not fond of rules... You can quote them, disagree with them, glorify or vilify them, but the only thing you can't do is ignore them because they change things... they push the human race forward, and while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius, because the ones who are crazy enough to think that they can change the world, are the ones who do." ~ Steve Jobs