Thursday, August 18, 2011

Exploring India at the Library

This was our first year homeschooling.

Prior to that, my girls were in school.

I stayed home when they were younger, but when they were both in school full-time, I wanted to feel more productive.  I love books and reading and writing, and when I heard there was an opening at our local library...I applied.

When we made the decision to homeschool...I thought long and hard about whether or not to keep my position at the library.  I work anywhere from 8 to 14 hours a week.  Time is precious.  If I didn't work, my girls would have more time for field trips, playdates, even lessons...but I love what I do.  I love helping children find books that they enjoy and I love running programs.  In the end, our family decided that it was important that my girls saw me working, saw that women can play an important role outside the home and saw that people respect me for my mind.

Working at the library has been a huge blessing!

I have the best colleagues ever!

We run AWESOME programs, if I do say so myself!

This is my supervisor, aka P's BFF, aka one of the most AWESOME children's librarian's EVER!
Recently we ran a program where children got to explore India.
This tied in wonderfully with what the girls & I had learned earlier this year in

 Children were exposed to Bollywood music and taught several dance steps; 

They were exposed to Indian folktales and the significance of the peacock in Indian folklore;

 They were encouraged to make gorgeous Indian crafts; they learned about the significance of tigers in India and the ceremonial dance to honor the Tiger:

They made themselves Tiger outfits to wear for their own Tiger Ceremony.

And because I know it is not long before A won't want to do these things:


The woman giving the presentation, then lead the kids in a ritual "Tiger Dance": 
(A felt that she was too old to participate in this part.)

I have to say the thing I loved most was the beautiful embroidery:


These pieces were made for the dowry of the woman who gave this wonderful presentation.