Saturday, November 5, 2011

Homeschool Mother's Journal - 9


In my life this week.... I have been very anxious about our roof situation.  Also, my husband has been working very long days getting trees off of power lines to restore power to homes...this is dangerous, physical work and that also increases my anxiety.

In our homeschool this week.... We have been really enjoying reading The Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler.  In the book, Claudia and Jamie only have a certain amount of money, which they have to budget for train tickets and food.  I gave A and P the same assignment.  A certain amount of money and a list of how much train tickets cost, cab rides, buses and food.  The girls needed to budget enough to eat for five days.

The girls also graphed their candy.

We learned more about Medieval Chinese history in Story of the World Volume 2 and we learned more about plants growth in our Real Science 4 Kids Biology.

Each girl completed another chapter in their writing and math curriculum as well.  A's program this week was all about writing descriptive phrases; both she and P spent HOURS poring over Writing Prompts cards that I had bought at the Dollar Tree and writing descriptions!


We also spent a lot of time reviewing the Latin roots we have learned so far, as well as the capitals and postal codes of all the states.  My mom found this puzzle from when I was a kid and brought it over, the girls have been learning a lot about the location of the fifty states.

Helpful homeschool tips or advice to share...  Breaking away from typical assignments is fun and rewarding.

I am inspired by... my husband.  He was looking forward to a weekend at home, but was called in to work VERY early Sunday and has been working looong days ever since to help restore power to those who lost it.

Places we are going and people we are seeing... We trick or treated with our wonderful homeschool neighbors.  My mom has a tradition of taking the girls shopping and out to lunch for their birthdays, so she and A enjoyed a leisurely lunch at Cheesecake Factory and a fun shopping trip.  The girls also had choir and youth group and spent some time at the library with me this week.

My favorite thing this week was...  the girls assignment (similar to the characters in our read-aloud) of budgeting for five days of food and train tickets in New York City, they worked together and came up with good reasons for each purchase.  I loved seeing that they were able to do this.

What's working/not working for us... I just want to get the roof situation squared away.  We got one estimate from a roofer while the roof was still covered with snow; he didn't speak with us or come in the house.  Another roofer looked at both the attic and the roof and said it was a ventilation issue.  I have tried calling both and neither return my calls....nor did any of the other contractors and roofers that I called.  They are inundated with work from the hurricane.  We have decided to deal with the ventilation issue ourselves for now and put the money for the roof aside for now.

Questions/Thoughts I have...  My girls are growing up so fast!  There are times when I want to slow it down, and other times that, since we are homeschooling, I am really conscious of NOT holding them back.

Things I am working on...  remembering that God is in charge, not me.

I'm grateful for.... my hard working husband.  Not having to dip into savings for the roof.

I'm praying for.... those who are without power.

This weekend, I am looking forward to... Visiting the Metropolitan Museum of Art with Jason, the girls and my Uncle to celebrate A's 12th birthday, then we are going to my Uncle's for dinner and a birthday celebration.   Going out to dinner Saturday night with friends and having P sing in church Sunday morning.