Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Individualize Your Children's Education

I am really excited to be part of the iHomeschool series today...I am guest posting over at Mom's Mustard Seeds my topic is

Individualizing Your Children's Education


One of our reasons for homeschooling was to individualize our children's education.  Our girls had been in public school for several years and we felt that a lot of their learning was done in preparation for a standardized test.  We didn't want a standardized education-we wanted an individualized education.  We didn't like that they were rushed along, sometimes not understanding a concept, but forced to move on because the teacher had a list of things to cover in the nine months leading up to the BIG, HUGE, MOST-IMPORTANT TEST.


When we started homeschooling in the Fall of 2010, I was nervous.  I had a lot of "school" in me.  I wondered what they would learn in school.  I compared myself and my family to other bloggers and what they were accomplishing.  I kept feeling like I fell short and I rushed my girls along.  Sometimes, as I was pushing them through a concept I know they didn't FULLY understand, I thought to myself: this is no better than what they do in school.  But I couldn't stop.  I didn't know how.  I just kept checking off the little boxes in my planner...to read more, please visit Mom's Mustard Seeds...