Monday, May 7, 2012

Being a Girl + Cinco de Mayo


1.  I try to be a "yes mom".  So when my daughters came to me and said they wanted to make these tea cakes for book club this week, I might have thought 'we will never be able to make anything that looks like that!' but I didn't want my girls to grow up with that kind of self-defeating attitude.  So, instead I said, "Sure!  Let's go for it!"

This is what our tea cakes looked like.  Not horrible, but most definitely not at all like the ones in the photo!  We tried over and over with that icing...we read and re-read and re-re-re-re-re-read the instructions and you know what, that photo in the cookbook was created from a different recipe or something, because there was no way the icing in the recipe was going to be that thick and cover the whole cake!


2.  The women in my family are all into needlework of one kind or another.  Knitting, crocheting, embroidery, crewel...Jason's mom was into needlework, too.  I am SO glad that Allie also really enjoys creating things with a needle and thread.  Seems genetic in a way ;-)


3.  Allie is really growing up.  I struggle with this.  Where did my sweet baby go?  I am so grateful that she is maturing into a sweet young woman with good values and morals who I not only love, but I really and truly like her and I am VERY proud of her!


4.  My girls are into all things fashion and make-up and hair styling.  I am not.  I never have been.  Comfy jeans and t-shirts or sweaters are my thing.  I have never been one to fuss over hair or make-up. My mom often cuts my hair.  Jason has done it a few times, too.  Last week, I decided to let the girls have a go at it.  Reasoning that it would boost their confidence if it came out good and I could run to the salon if it didn't.


I wear my hair in a bob.  Layers make it look too thin.  It's a simple cut,
and I think Piper did a fabulous job with it!


5.  Piper had decided it is too much work to make her bed in the morning, so she grabs an afghan off the couch and wraps herself in it to sleep ON TOP OF THE COVERS at night.  In the morning, she only has to artfully arrange the afghan over the couch again.  "Why doesn't everyone do this?" she asks.  "Makes sense, doesn't it?" she reasons.


6.  The hubinator was born and raised in Southern California, so he takes his Mexican food serious.  We always celebrate Cinco de Mayo.  This year, he grilled skirt steak right on the coals, just like Alton Brown said and it was truly awesome!


We made some stuffed poblanos, salsa and some margaritas!  Ole!


Poblanos Rellenos (Stuffed Poblanos)

4 poblano peppers (you can substitute bell peppers and I do make 2 bell peppers for my girls; poblanos tend to be too spicy for them)
2 ounces shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
3/4 cup raisins
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 cup salsa (from a jar or make your own, recipe follows)

1.  Rinse and core peppers.
2.  Mix cheese, raisins, beans and salsa together.
3.  Stuff peppers with cheese mixture.
4.  Grill on indirect heat until cheese melts or bake at 375 for twenty minutes or so.
5.  Enjoy!  Ole!

Tomato Salsa
I used to buy salsa, and then I realized how easy it is to make and how much better it tastes!  there is a LOT you can do with salsa, this is a very basic recipe.  For a variation, you can roast all of the ingredients beforehand and then chop or put in the blender.  For a refreshing summer recipe, leave it raw.

1 bunch cilantro, rinsed and chopped
5 Roma tomatoes, chopped OR 4 regular tomatoes, chopped OR 1 package grape tomatoes, halved
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small onion, chopped
salt
lime
jalapeno (optional)

1.  Mix chopped cilantro, tomato, garlic, and onion together in a bowl.  Add salt as desired.  Add juice of one lime.  Add chopped jalapeno, if you want.  Allow to sit for a while so the flavors blend.  Enjoy! Ole!

Ok, I will stop saying Ole! now!