Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Just BE...in nature

Before I had kids, I spent a LOT of time thinking of what I wanted my children's childhood to be like.
But once I had them, I got caught up in all of trappings of what everyone else was doing.
I didn't make time for the things I wanted for my kids.

I grew up across the street from an open field and down three hills was a brook.
That was pure heaven for us as kids.
We spent many, many hours down there...I pretended I was Laura Ingalls, my brother caught tadpoles and crayfish, we built dams with friends and just generally explored.

Those are some of my best childhood memories.


A simple childhood, 
that is what I want for my girls.

Unstructured play,
exploration,
learning to entertain oneself.

I don't want every day scheduled for them; I don't want a lot of outside classes--I want them to have time to just BE in nature.


“An environment-based education movement--at all levels of education--will help students realize that school isn't supposed to be a polite form of incarceration, but a portal to the wider world.”
― Richard LouvLast Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children from Nature-Deficit Disorder



Allowing children the freedom to just be allows them to learn and understand things on their own in a way that no one could ever teach them.