Thursday, October 18, 2012

Listen More, Talk Less

I have been thinking a lot about what being the MOM that I want to be means to me.

When I was a kid, I wanted to be the mom who baked cookies and always had fresh baked stuff around.  I love to bake, but I seldom make time for it.  I have been trying to bake something at least once a week.  Two weeks ago, I made Brown Butter Chocolate Chip cookies.  Last week, I made oatmeal cranberry squares, they were a huge hit.

I also want to LISTEN MORE and TALK LESS.  That's not easy for me.  I'm a talker.  But I have been trying.  There is something going on in our life that I have not really talked about on here, I am not sure how much I will talk about it, but it's been a struggle.  Lots and lots of prayer and reflection and research and assessing and appointments.  On the one hand, I am thankful that, in all honesty, this is not a big deal...it could be so, so, so, so, SO much worse.  On the other hand, I just wish we didn't have to deal with this...but in the grand scheme of things it's minor compared to what other parents go through. The thing that has happened as a result of going through this is that I am listening more to my kids and that has lead to spending more quality time together; it's lead to my daughter coming to me and asking if I want to watch a movie with her or read with her.  It's lead to her holding my hand again and leaning against me.

Sometimes God uses the hard stuff.  It's like a wake up call.  Like, WAKE UP, FOOL!  You aren't paying attention so I had to do this to wake you up!  That's how I am feeling now.  Lots and lots of prayer and assessment and research has lead to a decision that is right for now.  Maybe in the future something else will be right, but for now I am feeling confident about our decision and I am glad that it has lead to me really looking at my girls and the beautiful - inside & out - young women they are becoming.