Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My 10 Favorite Online Yoga Classes


I love yoga.  Yoga is something that I want to shout from the rooftops about.  When I first started doing it, I felt like I had uncovered the key to the universe and happiness and all that is good and right with the world.  Seriously.  I am calmer, more focused, saner, I breathe deeper, I feel better, I am more grateful, I am more in tune with my body and the world...I could go on and on...when I do yoga.

Originally I practiced at a yoga studio and that was awesome.  But, now with the girls and their friends and our busy schedules I just can't commit to ONE MORE THING.  I can't get in my car and drive somewhere, do something, drive home...for ONE MORE THING.  There is just not enough time in the day.  So, I often do yoga at home when I have a spare half hour or hour...it could be 6am or 8:42 pm, there is an online yoga class available when I am.

Here are some of my favorites:

1.  I have scoliosis, so sometimes I experience back pain.  When I do, this is one of the routines that ease the pain :)  I find something about Neesha's voice so soothing and comforting and I love how she reminds you to connect to the earth and be grateful.


2.  I love this class because it feels like I am in a yoga studio and it's a great workout.


3.  Part of yoga for me, is maintaining inner peace and a spiritual connectedness and this routine helps me do both.  If I am a little grouchy or crabby or just feeling emotional, this is the routine I do.


4.  If I only have 20 minutes, but I want to challenge myself and get some good core work...this is the one!


5.  I love the three minute kriyas of Kundalini.  I LOVE Breath of Fire.  I love how Sarah Kline talks about how an exercise improves your thyroid or some other gland, that keeps me going when I want to give up.  I want to strengthen my adrenals.  I want to do things now so that when I get old, I am still in good shape.


6.  Kundalini is all about awakening chakras and creativity.  If I am feeling uninspired and I only have 20 minutes, I do this routine.


7.  Kripalu is amazing.  If you like yoga, you should really try to get there at some point in your life.  Kripalu yoga tends to be very gentle with a lot of stress on doing what is right for YOUR BODY.  At Kriplau you really learn to listen to your body and what your unique body needs.  This workout, in my opinion, is more restorative than difficult or a real toning workout.  But, when I need to pamper myself...this would be the one I would choose.


8.  Turning 40 has been rough...I can't keep weight off as easily.  I love this workout.  It's quick and effective and Adriene is funny and keeps me motivated.  I wish she would come out with more routines.  Adriene?  Are you out there?  Are you reading this?  I love the poses, but I would really like more full routines!


9.  When my scoliosis is REALLY bad, I do this routine.  It. Is. Amazing.  Yin yoga is all about holding a stretch for several minutes.  It does wonders for my back.



10.  My back (because of scoliosis) and my belly (because I am over 40) tend to be the two areas I focus.  If I only have a half hour and my back is in pain, I do this routine.