Monday, April 18, 2011

Things I Am Thankful For

  I am so thankful for working at the library on Wednesday & Thursday afternoons.  My girls come with me.  P goes to Craft Time with some of her friends that attend public school.  A gets to hang out with kids her age.  They talk, they laugh, they share.  They walk next door to Rita's for Italian Ices and to the drug store for candy.  They play Webkinz on the computers.  This week A knew how to spell words that her friends did not, they looked up to her and I know she was proud of herself.  I am so, so thankful for this.  My primary concern with homeschooling was that my girls would not have this.  But they do, because of my job.

I am so thankful that my girls get terrific music instruction at church, are part of choir and youth group and are making wonderful friends.

 I am so thankful to my mom who has taught my girls to sew.  My girls have made clothes for their American Girl dolls, their own Christmas skirts.  And now, their own Easter dresses.  I have not seen the dresses yet.  I have to wait until Easter Sunday to see them.  But I have heard that they are beautiful!  I can't wait to see them!

  I am so thankful that after a bad day...there is a good day :)

I am thankful for the many moms I have met - through blogs and in person -  who are supportive and not competitive; who are inspiring and creative and interesting.  I am thankful to call these women friends.

I am thankful for homeschooling and the time it gives me with my girls.

I am thankful that they no longer define themselves by the standards of school or their peers, but by their own standards.

I am thankful that we can find curriculum that works for each of them individually if need be.

 I am thankful that we can spend time to really dig into things that interest us like ancient Egypt, Ancient Rome, Ancient Greece, planets, fables, fairy tales, folk takes, Louisa May Alcott...

 I am thankful that we can go over something until they understand it.

 I am thankful that we can whiz through stuff that they do understand.

 I am thankful that we don't live by alarm clocks and schedules.

I am thankful that after a winter of ice and snow, we can take that first 80 degree day, call school off and invite friends over.
I am thankful that my children are enjoying their childhoods.

 I am thankful that we don't have homework (that dreaded tired 3-5pm witching hour).

I am thankful that we can do projects according to our own schedule, when it is right for our family.

I am thankful that we can hop in the car and go see a play or go to the planetarium or a museum and really get to SEE what we are learning RIGHT THEN and THERE.

I am thankful that my family made the decision to homeschool again next year.

I am thankful for my husband's job and the amazing opportunities he has recently had in Manhattan and at Princeton University.

It is such an incredible blessing.