Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Allie & Piper's Favorite Books

Allie loves to read.  She is a girl after my own heart.  She is happiest buried under her down comforter and nestled into her down pillows, losing herself in a good book.  Piper is not as much of a reader, preferring to play American Girl dolls and create stop-animation videos in her spare time, but when she is reading something particularly riveting, I have caught her burrowed under the covers of her bed in the middle of the afternoon and she tells me, "Mom, this book is SO good, I just can't stop reading it!"  When that happens, I will add to this list!

We have a monthly Mother-Daughter Book Club (that Allie started with some of her friends) and we generally focus on classic children's literature.  I sometimes ask the girls to read a certain biography or non-fiction book, but otherwise I leave them to their own devices and have found that they really do read across genres.

I will do my best to keep this list updated.  Often, Allie will tell me how good a book is and become animated as she relates the details of plot and summary; when that happens, I will add those books to this list.  This list can be accessed by a button in the sidebar of my blog.

A * symbolizes that both of my girls would put this book in the category of "One of the Best Books I Ever Read!"

Allie's Favorite Books:

Biographies

The Diary of a Young Girl  by Anne Frank

Fiction

Number the Stars by Lois Lowry
The Penderwicks by Jeanna Birdsall (Allie recommends the entire series!)
Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman
Every Soul a Star by Wendy Mass
A Mango Shaped Space by Wendy Mass
When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead *
101 Dalmations  by Dodie Smith (this is the original, not the Disney version)
The Cricket in Times Square by George Seden
Child of the Mountains by Marilyn Sue Shank

Historical Fiction

Come Juneteenth by Anne Rinaldi


Piper's Favorite Books

Biography

Steve Jobs: American Genuis by Amanda Ziller

Fiction

Lynn Visible by Julia DeVillers

Historical Fiction