Friday, September 7, 2012

Duct Tape & Plantar's Warts

WARNING: This post is NOT for the faint of heart.  This post is gross and TMI, BUT my hope is to help someone else suffering with a plantar's wart.

In the grand scheme of things, plantar's warts are not that big of a deal.  They are painful, but not harmful.

I have a tendency toward them, probably because we belong to a swim club and I walk around barefoot a lot.  I had one on my foot from before Allie was born until just a few years ago.  I tried OTC salicylic acid and liquid nitrogen.  I had my doctor freeze it and do a variety of other things to attempt to remove it.  These suckers are STUBBORN.  You think it's gone and it comes back.  I opted not to have surgery on this particular wart because it did not cause pain, just sort of spread over the bottom of my foot and looked gross.  Finally, after being diligent with the liquid nitrogen it went away.

Several months ago, I noticed a hardness on the sole of my foot that would hurt when I walked.  At first I thought the little black dot was a splinter and attempted to dig it out to no avail.  Then I realized it was a wart and the little black dot was the capillary feeding it.  gross.

I was going to get the liquid nitrogen and start what I knew would more than likely be a loooong process.  Jason stopped me and said to try duct tape.  I looked on-line and decided to try it.


At first I was taking the tape off before I showered, soaking it for twenty minutes after my shower and using a foot paddle to file it down after soaking it.  Anyone who has had plantar's warts knows soaking and filing are usually prescribed methods of treatment.  Nothing seemed to be happening.

Summer was coming and I was hobbling around.  A plantar's wart grows into the sole of the foot and this one was under a nerve and it was painful to walk.  I bought the liquid nitrogen and was vigilant about soaking for at least twenty minutes and treating every two weeks.  Nothing seemed to be happening.

We were preparing for our vacation...a vacation that involved a lot of walking and sightseeing.  I was desperate.  I saw my doctor who used Rx strength liquid nitrogen after shaving it til it bled.  Several treatments of this and...Nothing seemed to be happening.

I dealt with the pain while away.  Walking around was not as bad as stepping on a small shell fragment at the beach and having it stab the wart.

When we came home, I gave up on it for a few days.  I was mad at it.  lol.  It seemed to get bigger.  I considered surgery.  I searched on-line for a last ditch effort.  Soaking it in raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar, then soaking a cotton ball in the ACV and taping that over the wart overnight.  I am a big believer in apple cider vinegar as it cured my dandruff some thirty years ago.  I tried it for a few weeks, nothing seemed to be happening.

I gave up on it.  I just put some duct tape on the wart and replaced it when it fell off.  I didn't soak or file or use ACV.  I just left the duct tape on. I decided to give it a couple of days and then call my doctor and say I was ready for surgery because this one HURT.  As part of my last-ditch effort, I started taking L-Lyseine (what I take for cold sores since warts are caused by a different strain of the HPV virus that causes cold sores) , Vitamin C and Odor-free garlic to boost my immune system.  Wouldn't you know it?  Within a week the little sucker started going away.

I had to stop using ACV because my skin was peeling, you can still see some of that in the photo. sorry.

I did NOT take pictures BEFORE, honestly it was gross and I feel gross even posting these photos...BUT...my hope is that someone else suffering with a plantar's wart will be helped by this.  Don't mess around with ACV and liquid nitrogen and trying to be vigilant about changing the tape.  Just slap it on, forget it and change it when it falls off.  Leave it alone.  Take L-Lyseine (an amino acid), Vitamin C & Garlic pills too if you want.  I don't guarantee it will work for you, but it did for me and it's worth a shot.  I wish I had known NOT to mess around with the soaking, filing, ACV, etc.